Friday, October 19, 2007

The Milky Way



16" by 20" mixed media on stretched canvas. The paint and collage wrap around the edges making a frame unneccessary. It has a high gloss varnish on it. More closeups and details are in my Etsy store.

I've been working on this for quite some time, putting it aside for a while and thinking about it. This piece comes from a sense of wonder at the fragility and smallness of my place on earth in such an infinite universe. That's a big thought to try to put in an artwork but, why not? I just finished a novel called "Beautiful Miscellaneous." In it a scientist who didn't believe in God, wrote a letter to God explaining why he doubted his unbelief. One of the reasons was, no one could explain the existence of gravity. I have another corny name for this painting, "Raise Your Hand If You Understand Gravity."

No comments: