Friday, November 02, 2012

Yautli original mixed media Dia De los Muertos painting

Yautli by Polly Jones
18" by 24" acrylic mixed media painting.  Please excuse this terrible photograph.  I forgot to take a good picture before I delivered it and this was taken on my phone.  Tonight is a wonderful celebration at The Center for Contemporary Arts of Dia de los Muertos and the life of Clint Hamilton. He was a founding member of the center and an amazing artist/character. There are tickets available at the door for $75, more info at 325.677.8389.  This group show has lots of energetic and colorful paintings and installations.

My piece is of the Mexican marigold that is used for decorating graves during the day of the dead celebrations.  The horizontal swaths are a reference to ascending heavens.  The idea of different levels of heaven is something I've been thinking about lately.

No comments: